Who is "Fireball" Roberts? Why is this 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix Hardtop special? Read the full story below.
1962 Pontiac Grand Prix Hardtop—"Fireball Roberts" Limited Edition Die-cast Collectible Item Details:
- A fantastic piece of desk decor all around!
- Officially licensed
- Limited edition—available only while supplies last
- Made of die-cast metal and plastic
- 1/18 scale
- Dimensions: 13-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 3" (33.66 cm x 15.88 x 7.62 cm)
- Weight: 2 lb (.91 kg)
- Hood, doors and trunk open
- Highly detailed engine
- Check out the interior reproduction, including carpeting
- Paint color: "Starlight Black"
- Rubber tires which roll
- Steerable front tires
- Price includes Standard UPS Ground Shipping + insurance
Ships separately 1-2 business days following order
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:
- This is an "Adult Collectible" item
- Recommended for ages 14 and up
- WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD—Small pieces
- NOT A TOY
NOT FOR CHILDREN
- USA Shipping-Included Information + Additional International Shipping Information
- Drop-Ship Order Cancellations and Ret
The Story of "Fireball" Roberts:
The year was 1962. Cheering on NASCAR had become an American pastime. However, the rock stars behind the wheel were essentially piloting the very same cars that enthusiasts could buy at their local dealership. Edward Glenn “Fireball” Roberts Jr. was one such driver. His 1962 season was one for the record books. Of his 206 career races, he finished in the top-5 just shy of half the time, and in the top-10 nearly 60% of the time! In 1962, he won both the Daytona 500 and the Firecracker 250 driving a black and gold Pontiac built by the award-winning Smokey Yunick, and sponsored by Jim Stephens Pontiac of Daytona Beach.
To commemorate his astounding season, Stephens Pontiac developed the 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix “Fireball” Roberts Edition. It was painted rich Starlight Black with the same gold accents as Roberts’ winning racer. Under the hood was the dealer-installed 421ci powerplant. Only about 30 of these historic and rare cars were ever produced by the dealership!